1. Heat oil in a wok and fry the mackeral fish until cooked. Remove and drain.
2. Pound red shallots, chilies, garlic in a mortar and pestle or by using the food processor, until mixed well.
3. Add dried shrimps, shrimp paste, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar. Mix all ingredients until the mixture becomes smooth paste.
4. Transfer to a serving dipping bowl. Serve with fried mackeral fish and steamed vegetables. Thai people also love to eat this recipe with acacia omelette.
Acacia Omelette (kai jeaw cha-om) : this recipe is optional. (If you cannot find acacia in your local grocery store, you may try to use other fresh vegetables instead.)
1. Wash acacia (cha-om) and nip the leaves and young leaves then cut into 1-inch portions.
2. Add the beaten eggs in a bowl, and also add the acacia. Stir until all mixed well.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Add the beaten eggs with acacia in the wok, fry until cooked and golden, then remove and drain. Slice into cubes.
(For 2 Serving)